Scott Quigg knocks out Kiko Martinez in the second round

Grimm

May 8, 2015
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott Quigg blasted Kiko Martinez away inside two rounds to better Carl Frampton’s result against the rugged Spaniard.

The WBA super-bantamweight’s long-time rival Frampton had defeated Martinez twice but not with the ferocity that Quigg delivered in his hometown of Manchester.
The 26-year-old initially did damage with a right uppercut that buckled Martinez’s knees, spelling the beginning of the end to the delight of a partisan crowd.

Sensing an early finish, Quigg unleashed a barrage of right and left hooks to bludgeon the tough ex-IBF champion and send him to the canvas.

Martinez gritted his teeth and returned to the action but the WBA king landed a wide, looping right hand that clipped landed on the chin and sent his opponent sprawling – although the Spanish puncher returned to his feet the referee realised he was in no state to continue.
Quigg had spent the first round on the back foot after Martinez exploded out of the blocks, stalking him around the ring and peppering jabs to his face - only for the Manchester puncher to respond viciously in the following period.
The WBA title holder remains on course to box fellow super-bantamweight standouts Nonito Donaire or Frampton but was just pleased with the way the gameplan worked out.
"I knew the way he was, he'd gain a lot of confidence - only a slight bit - so the second round I knew he would come out with bit more umph about him," he told Sky Sports.
"But it just set him up for the short we've been working on all through camp. It was a peach of a uppercut.
"Don't get me wrong, I looked a bit wild but I stayed as calm as possible, finished him off and got the job done."