Tyrese Gibson Really Wants To Play Green Lantern And He Doesn't Care Who Knows It

Grimm

May 8, 2015
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2015 has been the Green Lantern year for Tyrese Gibson. Since January, the Fast & Furious star has been campaigning to play John Stewart in the 2020 Green Lantern reboot. What started with Gibson appreciating fan art showing him as one of the protectors of Sector 2814, has led to him hinting that he’s met with Warner Bros. about the role. Now Gibson has dropped the playful hints and is doubling down on his pitch to play the next live action Green Lantern.

Gibson confirmed to Collider that he has had meetings with Warner Bros., and while nothing is official yet, he’s made it clear that he’s the best choice to play the next iteration of DC’s ring-slinger. Gibson said:
I’ve already had a couple of meetings at Warner Bros., so we’ll see what happens. I do believe that there needs to be more black superheroes out there, but that’s not even my motivation. I think I would be the best Green Lantern and based on my fans and supporters that spent around $6 billion in box office receipts, I feel like there’s a fanbase of fans out there waiting to see me put on this green suit and do my thing. So I would love to confirm something today but I can’t. We’ll just keep following up.

Although the Green Lantern reboot was revealed in October during DC’s film slate announcement, news has been scarce about the Emerald Knight’s next big screen appearance. Earlier this month at San Diego Comic-Con, it was revealed that the title of the reboot would be Green Lantern Corps, seemingly confirming an earlier rumor that the film will feature multiple Green Lanterns. Warner Bros. has already indirectly indicated that Hal Jordan will be one of the Green Lanterns, after concept art of the Silver Age hero was shown at Comic-Con, and Star Trek star Chris Pine is rumored to be up for the role. Gibson also posted fan art last month depicting him as John and Pine as Hal, though it’s unclear whether this is wishful thinking on his part or if he’s privy to inside information.

In the comics, John Stewart is the third human to join the Green Lantern Corps, but his fanbase grew in the 2000s when he was made one of the lead characters in the animated shows Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. If Green Lantern Corps does feature at least two human Green Lanterns, Hal and John would make the most sense, given their popularity. As far as Gibson goes, he’s made it clear over the last seven months that he (and his fans) wants to put on the power ring. However, despite his enthusiasm, that’s still no guarantee that Warner Bros. will give him the part, especially if they have already have their own list of candidates, so the casting waiting game will have to continue. Regardless, at least we can appreciate his passion.

Green Lantern Corps hits theaters on June 19, 2020.