Guillermo Del Toro 'will never again get involved in video games'

MaLiFiCentTIZ

May 23, 2015
During an exclusive interview with Shacknews, Guillermo Del Toro has once again voiced his concerns with the video games industry saying “If I join another video game, World War III will start.”

Shacknews spoke with Del Toro at San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago about his upcoming projects: the second season of The Strain and Pacific Rim 2. During our interview, we spoke to him about his ambitions in the video game space. “I have proven to be the albatross of video games,” he says. “I joined THQ, and THQ goes broke. I join Kojima, and Kojima leaves Konami. I have decided, in order not to destroy anyone else’s life, I have decided I will never again get involved in video games. Otherwise, I’ll join someone and his house will explode, or something.”

When pressed further, del Toro says, “I was in an apprenticeship. I learned a lot from Kojima-san, of course, and I learned a lot from my experience at THQ. I did. It changed the way I see narrative. We put two years of work in THQ. It was insane. We mapped it out, we did the viable, we did the outlines, we did the screenplay. We did a bunch of stuff. I know some of the tricks, or the stuff that I wanted to learn, I learned. Then I went to the side of Kojima-san, because he’s a master, and I can gladly say that we are friends and I love his work and I will continue learning from him as a friend. But I am not… if I join another video game, World War III will start.”

Del Toro didn’t say he was completely done with video games though as he admitted he’ll allow other companies create games based on his work. “I can be creative about it, and I can be educated about it, and talk about it in a way that helps them make the video game. But no - I can’t.”

It’s a shame to see such a creative mind like Del Toro be turned off of video game development based on his experiences with both THQ and Konami. We hope he reconsiders his stand on game development, but if he does, we also don’t hope it brings on World War III as a result.