Ireland recall Josh Little, Barry McCarthy for West Indies T20Is

JokeR.

Dec 7, 2019
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ireland will play three ODIs and three T20Is against West Indies in January 2020. © Getty

Ireland have picked a relatively young squad for the upcoming tour of West Indies. Josh Little and Barry McCarthy return to the T20I squad, while Shane Getkate, Stuart Thompson and David Delany have been left out, as the selectors have pruned the squad down from 15 members to 14 now.

Andrew Balbirnie, who was recently took over the T20I captaincy from Gary Wilson, will lead the side.

The last time Ireland had played a T20I encounter, against Netherlands and Scotland in September this year, they edged past Scotland by one-run in the tri-series final.

Ireland T20I squad: Andrew Balbirnie (C), Mark Adair, Gareth Delany, George Dockrell, Josh Little, Barry McCarthy, Kevin O'Brien, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Gary Wilson, Craig Young
Ireland's ODI setup also sees a few changes, with the likes of Shane Getkate, Tyrone Kane, Tim Murtagh making way for Craig Young, Barry McCarthy and the uncapped all-rounder Gareth Delany.

Ireland last played an ODI in early July, against Zimbabwe, where they registered a 3-nil series win over the visitors.

Ireland ODI Squad: Andrew Balbirnie (C), Mark Adair, Gareth Delany, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Kevin O'Brien, William Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Lorcan Tucker, Gary Wilson, Craig Young.
"The Caribbean tour will be the start of a quite intensive year for the senior men's team - we have tours before the start of the home season, hosting several full members in the summer, commence our participation in the ICC World Cup ODI Super League, including playing an ODI series against England, and then head to a T20 World Cup in October," Graham Ford, the Ireland head coach said. "These matches will be the first under Andrew Balbirnie's leadership, so will be a great first-up challenge for him and one which I know he is looking forward to.

"We've played the West Indies a few times over the last couple of years, and the two sides have built up a decent rivalry on the field - but the Windies are an altogether different proposition in their own backyard. We have one formal warm-up game on the 4th, then it's straight into the ODI series. Our lads will need to adapt quickly to local conditions and be ready from the outset in order to build some momentum, which is an important aspect of any series.

"When you look at the squads selected the positive for the future is that there is a blend of experience and youth. While we've undergone an evolution in the senior set up over the last 12 months, I think the squads selected recognise and reward performance, and I'm pleased that the likes of Mark Adair, Gareth Delany and Harry Tector have come into the squad over the last while and look the part. There is a confidence and self-belief around the camp which comes from recent successes, and we're looking to build on that in 2020.

"Being our first-ever multi-format tour of the Caribbean, there is certainly a bit of a buzz around the squad and come the 7th of January, we'll be more than ready to begin what is an exciting year in Irish cricket."

Ireland will play three ODIs and three T20Is against West Indies on the tour, starting January 2020.