There's no reason why I won't play against Zimbabwe - Rahim

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Bangladesh's first-choice 'keeper is undergoing rehabilitation and is set to participate in the remainder of the BCL © BCB

Bangladesh wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim brushed aside speculations regarding his availability for the upcoming home series against Zimbabwe, despite the doubts and eyebrows raised about his participation in the series.

Rahim had pulled out of the Pakistan tour due to security reasons and chief selector Minhajul Abedin had stated that Bangladesh will retain the same squad they announced for the first Test against Pakistan for both the Zimbabwe Test and the second Test against Pakistan. Head coach Russell Domingo also emphasized the need for continuity in terms of selection, and that they are likely to stick with the same squad for the upcoming three Tests.

"I am under the impression that this is the squad for this one Test match (the first Test against Pakistan). We will re-evaluate once we get back. You have to remember that Mushfiqur got runs in the last Test, but we also need to consider the fact that it is hard to pick a batting line-up, change it for one Test, and then change it again for the third Test. I want to give guys a run, but we also need to consider that Mushfiqur was our best player in India," Domingo said.

Rahim is currently going through rehabilitation for a hamstring injury that prevented him from taking part in the first round of the Bangladesh Cricket League. The 32-year-old said he was confident of playing in the second round of the BCL and that he was preparing for the Zimbabwe series as well.

"I have a fitness test tomorrow or the day after and if everything is okay, I will play in the second round of BCL," Mushfiqur told Cricbuzz on Monday (February 3). "There is no reason why I won't play against Zimbabwe. I am preparing myself accordingly. I will be fit and will be available for selection. Whether I will be selected or not is not in my hands but I will try to play against Zimbabwe and not only the Test but we have a full-fledged series against Zimbabwe and I will try to be available for all the formats. I will try to do well if I get selected."

"All I can do is try to be hundred percent fit and make sure that my performance is okay. If I am not available despite it [fitness and performance] then I don't have anything to say and if I am not selected for this series [against Zimbabwe] then I will try to perform so that I can be available for the next series.

"Till date no one said anything to me in this regard and it does not matter if they said anything elsewhere because at the end of the day I will only act according to the way they want and if they take such decision [of dropping me] then I will ask why and take steps so that I can make a comeback in the following series."

It has been reported in some quarters that the BCB is unhappy with Rahim pulling out of the Pakistan tour, and that he isn't an automatic choice in the team anymore. BCB president Nazmul Hassan had said players had the option of not going to Pakistan but his tone changed drastically following the T20I series whitewash in Pakistan as he publicly criticised Rahim for opting out of tour.

Rahim, however, isn't too worried about it, insisting that he'll prove his value to the team. "I am not a big cricketer like Tamim and Shakib and I always think myself as a small player," said Rahim. "Like I always say, I only plan about how to get a chance to play in the next series. So it was not embarrassing for me; rather it looked normal as they are saying what they are thinking. As far as recovery is concerned, there is a match of BCL and I will try to perform so that I make the selectors and members of the team management happy. If they think that I can add value to the team than they will pick me in the upcoming series."