Domingo confident of 'pushing' Pakistan in their own backyard

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"We know that we haven't played well in Tests, but if you are going to Pakistan thinking that we can't win, might as well stay here" - Domingo © Getty

Russell Domingo, the Bangladesh head coach, urged his team to approach the Test series against Pakistan with a positive mindset. Bangladesh haven't had a great time in Test cricket in recent times, having ended up on the losing side against New Zealand, Afghanistan and India since 2019. They have also lost nine of the 10 Test matches they have played against Pakistan, with the other result being a draw. But Domingo said Bangladesh have to put the past behind them and focus on capitalising on situations to put the opponents under pressure.

"We know that we haven't played well in Tests, but if you are going to Pakistan thinking that we can't win, might as well stay here. I am confident that if we do things well and improve considerably from our tour to India, we can push Pakistan," Domingo said on Monday (February 3). "It is going to be tough; they are a quality side. But we know they can also have a bad day. We need to have a great day when they have a bad day. If that happens, we give ourselves a chance."

"We have to win Tests, and outside of Bangladesh. If we are realistic, the chance of winning the World Test Championship is not good. We are ranked No. 10 in Tests. But we really want to win a series outside Bangladesh. If we do that, the team will gain so much confidence. We want to play good cricket away from Bangladesh."

Bangladesh will travel to Pakistan on Tuesday evening, with the first of the two-match Test series scheduled to be played in Rawalpindi from February 7. Bangladesh will return and play a home series against Zimbabwe before travelling to Pakistan in April for the last segment of their tour that includes an one-off ODI and the second Test.

BCB took the decision not to stay in Pakistan for an extended time due to security reasons and as a result, they have agreed to travel to Pakistan on three occasions with each stay not exceeding over seven days. This means that they will have limited time for practice sessions and will have to do without a practice game, something that Domingo admitted isn't ideal for the team.

"It is not ideal. You always want to go there at least seven or eight days before a Test match. Play a warm-up game, have a couple of days of practice. It is not great preparation for us, but there's nothing we can do about it. The guys will practice and play here. We will reach there on Wednesday morning, practice Thursday and play on Friday. So it is not good [preparation]," said Domingo, who added that the match time for the national cricketers during the first round of the Bangladesh Cricket League will hold them in good stead.

Tamim Iqbal scored his maiden triple hundred while Mominul Haque and Mahmudullah also scored centuries. From the bowlers' perspective, left-arm spinner Taijul Islam and Nayeem Islam picked five and six wickets respectively.

"There's no doubt that runs in the middle is worth more than just practicing in the nets. So the players who got runs will gain confidence. Tamim's three-hundred is a fantastic effort and it is something that should be treasured, as it doesn't happen often. Mominul and [Mahmudullah] Riyad got hundreds and Mithun got a 60. Guys have got five wickets. They have shown why they are in the Test team. It is always important for Test players to put in big performances in domestic cricket," he said.

Domingo also stressed on the need for continuity in selection to justify the presence of Mohammad Mithun and Soumya Sarkar in the Test squad. While Mithun struggled in the series against India, registering scores of 13, 18, 0 and 6, Sarkar didn't play the Tests against India having scored 17 and 15 in the Test against Afghanistan.

"When you say Mithun is not in good form, he is currently 60-odd not out (in the BCL). He has come off playing one T20I in Pakistan. I think he had a decent BPL. I wouldn't say he is in bad form. Soumya seems to be playing well. I want to make sure we have continuity in selection. Mithun was in our last Test series in India, under tough conditions. It is hard to leave a guy out after one or two Tests. I have always said that selection needs to be consistent, and we give guys an opportunity to play a number of Tests before you make decisions on their careers. A lot of the guys on this tour were with us in India. We are giving them opportunities to improve their game," he said, adding that the players will have to adjust quickly to the conditions in Pakistan.

"The wickets that they are playing here [in Bangladesh] don't have much pace and bounce, but I am sure Rawalpindi might have some pace and bounce. It is going to be a big challenge for the boys. The Test players have been working on some technical things with Neil McKenzie. Of course, some of the boys know that they have to put in some big performances on the back of a poor Test series against India. We have to show a bit more commitment with the bat, and find ways to manufacture scores even when the conditions are not good."

Meanwhile, Domingo said captain Mominul Haque is expected to bat at No. 4 in the Tests, taking over the role of Mushfiqur Rahim who opted out of the Pakistan tour. "At the moment, Mominul is earmarked to bat at No. 4. I will probably get Shanto to bat at No. 3, and Saif Hassan to open the batting with Tamim Iqbal. Mithun and Riyad at No. 5 and 6, and Liton [Das] probably at No. 7," Domingo said.