Gill plays down competition with Shaw for Test opener's slot

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"I think their bowling attack has been taking a lot of wickets with the short ball, especially Wagner" - Gill © Getty

Shubman Gill, the 20-year-old, who is in red-hot form, noted that the Indian cricketers have got accustomed to the conditions ahead of the two-match Test series versus New Zealand. He also played down the competition with Prithvi Shaw for the Test opener's slot.

"I think we all are really well-prepared because we have been here for a while and we have been practicing for a while and we have been playing matches. I think everyone is well-prepared."

Gill, who is yet to make his Test debut, has been in terrific touch of late. His scores of 83, 204* and 136 for India 'A' against New Zealand 'A' are a testament to it.

"I think the wickets here are really good to bat on, especially when we played the day game in Christchurch, the wickets were really good to bat on. The only challenge that we were facing was the bounce. The bounce was really good and it was really consistent. Keeping the wind factor in mind, it was not that easy to consistently pull and hook the ball."

It's impossible to not talk about Neil Wagner when the discussion revolves around New Zealand and bounce. The fiery bowler, ranked second in Tests, was the pick of the bowlers for New Zealand against Australia. Although his team was blanked 0-3, Wagner troubled the Australian batsmen, especially Steve Smith, with his accurate short-pitched deliveries. Gill, on his part, is aware of that threat.

"I think their bowling attack has been taking a lot of wickets with the short ball, especially Wagner," he admitted. "If you see the last series they played against Australia, when nothing was happening in the wicket, they were really relying on the short ball. I think as a team, as a batsman, if we could take that out of the picture and not give wickets to the short ball, it will be really helpful for us."

With Rohit Sharma ruled out of the Test series, Mayank Agarwal will be having a new opening partner, and the competition for that slot is between the two 20-year-old right-handed batsmen - Prithvi Shaw and Gill.

"Obviously, our [his and Prithivi Shaw's] careers started at the same time but there is no fight as such. Both of us have done well in our positions. It's up to the team management, who they will play. It's not as if there is a fight. Whoever gets the chance will try to make the most of the opportunity and not let it go waste."

Gill batted in the middle order in the first unofficial Test and opened the innings in the following match. The change in batting positions, especially batting at the top, hasn't perturbed Gill.

"When you are opening, obviously you have to face the new ball and facing the new ball wherever is a challenge. I have been an opener for my state team, so it has helped me. It was nothing new to me when I was asked to open the innings. When you go at No. 4, already you are two wickets down. That's a different scenario, a different pressure game. As a youngster, if you know that there are people coming down the order who are such big names in world cricket, that gives you the confidence to just play the game and express yourself."

"I think I have grown as a player, I have grown in confidence and in other aspects of my game," said Gill who made his ODI debut in January 2019 against the Kiwis in New Zealand. "I think I have learnt a lot of things over the last few years. On my fitness, fielding, not just on my batting. There are a lot of things, you know, which simultaneously help you in your batting.

"I don't know about control over the mind but if you are fitter, you are confident that you can play a longer innings, I won't be that tired. If I am playing in a Test match, I can back myself to play 300 balls, 350 balls and after that, when you go out to field, I won't be that tired. My legs won't be that tired. Those are the challenges," Gill added.