Having touchpad issues in Windows 10? Here's how to fix them

GLOW

Mar 22, 2015
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try these tips to fix touchpad woes before reverting back to an earlier version of Windows.

I've been using Windows 10 on my desktops for a while, but I only recently installed the new operating system on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The installation went smoothly, but I immediately faced a problem I hadn't seen on my desktops - the touchpad wasn't working properly. Luckily for me the touchscreen still worked fine, so I was able to navigate through my touchpad troubles with relative ease. But those of you who don't have touchscreen laptops will need to plug in an external mouse before you work through this guide.

I can't fix all touchpad issues in one guide, but if you're having problems here are a few things to try before you revert back to Windows 8.1.

Make sure your touchpad is enabled

Open the Settings menu (Start > Settings) and go to Devices > Mouse & touchpad. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Additional mouse options.

The Mouse Properties window will open. Click the tab furthest to the right (it may be called ELAN or Device Settings). Under Devices check to see that your touchpad is not disabled. If it is disabled, click the touchpad to select it and then click Enable.

One other thing to try is to see if your laptop has a function key that enables/disables the touchpad. It should look like a tiny touchpad with a diagonal line through it (on my laptop it's F6, on other laptops it may be Fn + F5, Fn + F6 or something else entirely). Try toggling this key if you have it before you freak out about possible touchpad woes.

Update your drivers

Windows 10 has been out for a few months now, and most touchpad makers have updated their drivers accordingly. But you may need to manually update your driver.

There are two ways to do this. First, right-click the Start button and click Control Panel. From the Control Panel window, open the Device Manager.

In the Device Manager, go to Mice and other pointing devices and find your touchpad (mine is called Lenovo Pointing Device, but yours may be named something else). Right-click on your touchpad and click Update Driver Software...

Your computer will check the Internet for updated driver software and, hopefully, update accordingly. But if your computer can't find an updated driver, you may have to look for the updated driver by yourself. To do this, go to your laptop manufacturer's website and look for their downloads section. Here, you should be able to find any updated drivers that the laptop manufacturer or the touchpad manufacturer has released for your specific device. If you can't find this section, just Google "[LAPTOP MODEL] Windows 10 touchpad driver."

Once you've downloaded the new driver from you laptop manufacturer's site, you can try installing it. If this doesn't work, you may want to first uninstall the old driver and then re-install the new driver. To do this, go back to the Device Manager, right-click on your touchpad, and click Uninstall. Then re-install the new driver (that you just downloaded) and restart your computer if necessary.

Nov 30, 2023
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disable re-enable touchpad. If that doesn't work unistall it from device manger, the driver itself then click action-check for hardware changes. If that doesn't work then i guess its time to reinstall windows.