Anya Taylor-Joy Teases Mad Max Prequel Furiosa's Vehicle Action

GreekFire

Sep 18, 2021
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Anya Taylor-Joy can't wait to film the Mad Max prequel, Furiosa, which she expects to have plenty of vehicle action. One of Taylor-Joy's early formative roles came in Robert Eggers' unconventional horror film The Witch in 2015. That led to parts in M. Night Shyamalan's thrillers Split and Glass as well as some period pieces like Peaky Blinders and Emma, before the young actor broke out in a big way with Netflix's 2020 miniseries The Queen's Gambit. It's safe to say that Taylor-Joy's performance as the fictional chess prodigy Beth Harmon has earned her many new fans and inspired anticipation around her upcoming projects.

Taylor-Joy stars in Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho, releasing on October 29, and will soon be getting to work on George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road prequel film for perhaps her most anticipated role yet: Imperator Furiosa. The character was previously portrayed by Charlize Theron in the 2015 film, and while this spinoff has been gestating for a while, it is set to enter production next year with Taylor-Joy as a younger version of the titular character. Furiosa will also star Chris Hemsworth, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Kameron Hood.

Now, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly promoting Last Night in Soho, Taylor Joy expresses her excitement for Furiosa. She is particularly eager to work with its Oscar-nominated director, Miller, and expects plenty of vehicle-related stunts. The 25-year-old actor also details the emotional, physical, and mental energy that goes into preparing for a role like Furiosa. See what she had to say below:

George [Miller] is incredibly generous and so passionate. I love working with him already. He's just the best. I think my preparation is just about becoming strong enough to be able to carry this film. That's what it is. It's emotional strength, it's physical strength, it's mental strength. I cannot wait. I'm so excited. It wouldn't be Mad Max, if there were not vehicles of some sort.

Miller previously revealed that he was watching an early cut of Last Night in Soho when he realized that Taylor-Joy would be perfect as a young Furiosa and ultimately decided to cast her. While she does have a few high-profile roles behind her at his point in her young career, Taylor-Joy has yet to lead a blockbuster on the level of Furiosa, which comes with lofty expectations. Although the previous film in Miller's franchise, Fury Road, underperformed slightly at the box office, it went on to win six Academy Awards after garnering significant critical praise.

Theron's memorable portrayal of the renegade warrior in Fury Road presents a challenge for Taylor-Joy in the prequel film, as the young actress is tasked with striking a balance between recalling her predecessor and bringing her own flare to the role. The vehicles are another obvious challenge, which Taylor-Joy mentions, but it's nice to hear that she is not neglecting the emotional and mental preparation as well. Furiosa was recently pushed back to 2024, which should give her more than enough time to prepare for the role on all fronts.

Furiosa (2023)
Release Date: Jun 23, 2023