Dune 2 Will Have More Action, Says Denis Villeneuve

GreekFire

Sep 18, 2021
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Director Denis Villeneuve says Dune 2 will have more action than the first film. When it was first announced that Villeneuve would direct an adaptation of Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel, fans of Dune began to wonder how he would bring the epic story to life. It was decided that the best way to tell the story was split the first book into two parts, even though Warner Bros. didn't officially greenlight Dune 2 at the same time. Audiences around the world are now experiencing the first installment as Dune hits theaters and HBO Max, and the response has been quite positive.

Anticipation for Dune was incredibly high thanks to its star-studded cast around Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides. The ensemble includes Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson as Paul's parents, Zendaya as a girl from Paul's dreams named Chani, and Jason Momoa as Paul's friend and mentor Duncan Idaho. Dune's positive reviews and strong box office performance have made the odds of Dune 2 happening appear stronger than ever, and Villeneuve is already teasing one way that it will be quite different from his latest movie.

During an interview with Fandango, Villeneuve talked about what making Dune 2 will be like, if it happens. After using much of Dune's two-and-a-half-hour runtime setting up the complex world, politics, and characters, the director is excited to move past most of the setup. What this means for Dune 2 according to Villeneuve is that it will have more action and less talking as he tells the next part of Paul Atreides' story.

I laid the base, the basics of the world - it's done now. I don't have to explain most of the world. So now I can just have fun with cinema. [laughs] That's what I will say, is that I think if ever such a thing happens as a Part 2, it's going to be a cinematic party. I mean, it's not the right word. I apologize. I will say it is going to be a cinematic blast for me. I think that I could create something much more built into cinematic action and less talking.

Since Villeneuve decided to split Dune's story into two films, it is not surprising that the first movie was more exposition-heavy and spent time setting up the world. Still, there are likely plenty of moviegoers or those who stream the film on HBO Max that will be surprised with a relatively small amount of action. Dune does contain a few different action sequences and sword fights, but the bulk of the action will come in Dune 2 based on how Villeneuve decided to split up the story.

Now that Villeneuve is teasing an increase in action for Dune 2, audiences could begin to get even more excited for what will come next. That said, it is also possible those who saw Dune expecting more of a traditional action-heavy sci-fi film won't give the sequel a chance because they didn't connect to the first film. In any case, it is clear to see how Dune 2 will incorporate more action. The ongoing battle for power between House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and Arrakis' native Fremen is just one way to up the action. Plus, the sequel could also further utilize the giant sandworms to increase the scale and introduce even more warring parties. Warner Bros. will need to announce Dune 2 first, though, before Villeneuve and fans get too excited about what the sequel could hold.