Dune Earns Rave Review From Christopher Nolan

GreekFire

Sep 18, 2021
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Christopher Nolan praises Dune, the latest science-fiction epic from director Denis Villeneuve. Dune was recently released in theaters, earning generally favorable reviews from audiences and critics and, despite its simultaneous release on HBO Max, pulling in an impressive haul at the box office. Villeneuve is best known for his work on Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival, and is widely considered one of the most original, ambitious, and creative filmmakers working today.

Dune, which is based on the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, tells the story of Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet), the son of a noble family, who travels to the most dangerous planet in the universe to secure a sought-after resource and ensure the future of his people. In addition to Chalamet, the film also stars Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Oscar Isaac, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Javier Bardem, and Josh Brolin. The massive success of Dune has already generated talk of a potential sequel.

According to The Director's Cut podcast (via IndieWire), among the fans of Villeneuve's latest film is writer/director Christopher Nolan. Nolan, who directed Inception, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight, is well known for his love of the theatrical experience and the use of practical effects over CGI. He reveals that he's seen Dune several times now and praised the film's flawless marriage of practical and digital effects. Nolan commends Villeneuve's attention to detail and the film's immense scale, saying that he uncovers new elements of the film with each repeated viewing. Check out Nolan's full comment below:

“It’s one of the most seamless marriages of live action photography and computer generated visual effects that I’ve seen. It’s very, very compelling at every turn. [Villeneuve's] entire team did an absolute incredible job. I think this film is going to introduce a whole new generation of fans to Dune who have never read the book or encourage fans to go read the book. I think it’s an incredible piece of work. I’ve had the luxury of seeing it a couple times now, and each time I watch it I discover new things, new details to the world. The way in which it’s made is for the big screen. It’s a real pleasure and a real gift to film fans everywhere.”

Both Villeneuve and Nolan share many similarities as filmmakers, with both seemingly having a love of science-fiction storytelling that takes place on a large scale. Both filmmakers tackle big themes with big budgets, with Nolan's most recent release being Tenet, a complex tale involving huge heists and time running in reverse. While Tenet ended up being a box office disappointment last year due to the pandemic, Villeneuve is no stranger to disappointing box office results either, with Blade Runner 2049, a similarly ambitious (and expensive) project, proving too niche for general moviegoers.

Considering the similarities of the two filmmakers and their shared love of the movie theater experience and seeing films on the big screen, it's no surprise that Nolan is a fan of Villeneuve's work. Both filmmakers are trying to give audiences a reason to go back to movie theaters, a business that has greatly suffered over the last year and a half due to the pandemic. If any audiences were on the fence about seeing Dune, an endorsement from Christopher Nolan may be just the push they need to go their local cinema for Villeneuve's latest science-fiction epic. Dune is now playing in theaters and on HBO Max.