Kate Mulgrew Talks Emotional Return Of Voyager's Janeway To Star Trek

GreekFire

Sep 18, 2021
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Kate Mulgrew speaks movingly about returning to the role of Captain Kathryn Janeway in the upcoming Star Trek: Prodigy. Mulgrew first stepped into the captain’s chair as Captain Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager in 1995, fronting the show for the duration of its seven seasons and becoming one of Star Trek’s most iconic captains. Audiences last saw Mulgrew appear as Janeway almost two decades ago in a cameo role in Star Trek: Nemesis, but the character will be returning to screens when Star Trek: Prodigy premieres on October 28th.

In a call-back to Voyager’s "Emergency Command Hologram," Mulgrew will be starring as a holographic version of the Voyager captain aboard the abandoned USS Protostar. The holographic Captain Janeway will act as a mentor to a young crew as they use the Starfleet vessel to journey through the dangerous Delta quadrant. Like Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy is an animated series, so fans won’t be seeing Mulgrew, who is also an experienced voice actor, return to the role in live-action. Mulgrew is set to be joined on the series by Star Trek: Voyager co-star, Robert Beltran. Beltran confirmed his involvement in Star Trek: Prodigy earlier in the year, and will be reprising his role as the Voyager’s first officer Commander Chakotay, now promoted to Captain of his own ship.

Now, in an interview with io9, Mulgrew has reflected on the emotional experience of revisiting a beloved character. Mulgrew stated that she was “stirred up” by the experience and also explained why she feels that now is the right time for Captain Janeway to return to screens. Read Mulgrew’s comments below:

"It is an important time for Voyager, it’s an important time for Star Trek. I think in terms of pop cultural history, now is the time to target this young demographic and introduce to them the wonderful mysteries of Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry’s splendid philosophy....It feels good, feels lucky... but it also feels nostalgic. I’m not a sentimental person—and neither is Janeway. By nostalgic, I mean... I can’t help but feel stirred up by what was, and what we are now going forward into a new future, and into a new way of telling this story. So, it’s moving, to me."

Despite being aimed at a younger audience than previous Star Trek content, Star Trek: Prodigy will be sure to draw in older fans on Mulgrew’s name alone. Mulgrew’s Captain Janeway quickly developed a reputation for her stern approach to command, setting herself apart from previous Star Trek captains seen on-screen. Despite the strength of Mulgrew’s performance, Voyager was not always well-received by some audiences who criticized the series for failing to live up to its potential. The series now enjoys a warmer reputation among Star Trek fans and has become increasingly appreciated as its aged.

Aside from the return of Captain Janeway, Star Trek fans have a lot to be excited about. More Star Trek content is being developed now than at any previous point in the franchise’s long history. Star Trek: Prodigy joins Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Lower Decks, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as current series, but with its unique demographic targets and animation style, the series is sure to stand out. Reception to the new wave of Star Trek content has sometimes been mixed, but viewers will be optimistic that the series is in capable hands with the experience of both Mulgrew and Captain Janeway.