Nigel Jones joins Ireland selection panel

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jones has represented Ireland in 34 matches between 2009 and 2012. © Getty

Nigel Jones, the former Ireland cricketer, has been appointed to the national men's selection panel. The 37-year-old replaces the outgoing selector Albert van der Merwe, and will join Ian McGregor, Simon Johnston and Graham Ford in the selection panel, which is chaired by Andrew White.

"I am honoured to be asked to come onto the National Selection Panel and I'm looking forward to playing my part in supporting, challenging and promoting our current/ next crop of players in discussions round the selection table," Jones said on Friday (March 13).

"It's an exciting period at the moment, and I believe that we are now starting to see the benefits of the transition period we have been going through, with the likes of Lorcan Tucker, Josh Little, Harry Tector, Mark Adair, Gareth Delany, James McCollum and David Delany all showcasing their promise over the past 12 months or so with either match contributing and or winning performances for Ireland.

"However, these younger players wouldn't have been able to flourish without the experienced backbone of the squad which is where a majority of our consistent performers are still positioned. The overall mix of experience and youth I believe is starting to bear fruit in our performances and hopefully this will continue to develop over the next 12-18 months as we look to provide further opportunities for our players."

Jones has represented Ireland in 34 matches between 2009 and 2012, and was appointed the head coach of Leinster Lightning last year.