Where do you hoard your data?

Siopao

Aug 1, 2020
I'm currently running an Synology NAS with about 30TB of disk space. I was thinking of building an Unraid server soon because I've run out of disk bays in my NAS.

I don't want to spend money on another Synology NAS and I would also like to have the ability to run a couple VMs and some docker containers. I know Synology has Virtual Machine Manager, but with the tiny processor on my 1819+ the performance of the VM is subpar.

So how are you guys storing all of your downloaded stuff?

Thapsus

Aug 22, 2020
I use synology NAS because it's a no brainer. Plug, install and forget it for years to come. It is ok for a few docker containers, but VMs nah.
I did look into unraid and freenas but these require a lot of time, specifically to get it right with the hardware. So yeah, if you have the time and the knowledge go for a linux build. It will be cheaper and much more powerful.

Thapsus

Aug 22, 2020
Yeah, hard drives do fail unfortunately. I also use an external hdd in additon to my NAS. But I only put things I don't mind loosing on that external hdd :)

willaim

Oct 20, 2020
Allover the place really... Local harddrives, various free cloud services, thumb drives. Even got me a stack of CD/DVDs if you can believe it! Pays off nicely when the ISP dies.

scouseuk

Nov 14, 2020
wow lol looking at these posts and i think what got got is dismal lol
i got a exterenal 1tb hd
and a 2tb internal

bird-of-steel

Dec 29, 2020
Recently I built a home server with redundant 8 TB storage, which is a nice addition to my pile of external drives and backups on remote servers. I'm using it as a NAS and running a Plex server on it, which works very nicely.