Mahmudullah sets focus on stabilizing T20I batting order

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mahmudullah wants players to have a steady run in their batting positions © Getty

Mahmudullah, Bangladesh's T20I captain, believes the upcoming series against Zimbabwe should be the start of bringing stability to the side's batting order as they prepare for the T20 World Cup later in the year.

Bangladesh will take on Zimbabwe in the two-match T20I series at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, which will be followed by three-match T20I series against New Zealand and Ireland to complete their preparations ahead of the mega-tournament.

Mahmudullah, who is expected to lead the squad in the World Cup, insisted they should fix their batting positions for the mega-event through this series.

"T20 World Cup is not too far away and I think this is the right time for us to build a proper team. If we play step by step and win then it will help us grow in confidence for the World Cup," Mahmudullah told reporters on Sunday (March 8). "I have held talks with the coach and I'm quite clear what I want as a captain, and the coach also knows what he wants. "

"I have to talk with the team management but one thing I want to ensure is that whoever bats at any particular place they will get a steady run so that they can take that freedom to perform. Whoever bats at whatever position, it can be 3, 4 or 5, they should bat accordingly. In T20 cricket, if you are aware of your role then it becomes easy for you. In T20 cricket, batting at 5, 6 or 7 is tougher than the top order. You have to start hitting from the very first ball. So you have to consider those things. And I think those situations will be in consideration from now on and I think the team management will also support us on this matter."

The Bangladesh skipper cited the example of Mashrafe Mortaza and said that earning the trust of his players is of utmost importance as the leader of the side.

''Earning the trust of the players is of utmost importance, and I have to be transparent and honest towards them. T20 format is such a format that you can have one bad match and let insecurity creep in. It's my responsibility, and that of the coach, to make them feel secure and let them play with freedom.

"As a captain, when you're entrusted with the role, you need to take that authority and build the trust in the team. The players need to feel that they have the support of the captain or the coach or the team management. It motivates the player to perform well, especially in T20 cricket where you have lesser overs and lesser scope."