Robyn avoiding patterns

Grimm

May 8, 2015
91063.jpg

Robyn is trying her best to avoid 'old patterns and behaviours' when it comes to music.

The 36-year-old Swedish musician made pop history after the release of her three-part Body Talk album series in 2010.
In the past five years she has taken a break, but also worked on collaborations with fellow Swedish artists like Röyksopp, with whom she released 2014 EP Do It Again.
"I've been questioning if I really want to keep doing what I've always done," she told BBC News. "Both this [La Bagatelle Magique collab] and the Röyksopp album are things I've been doing in the meantime, while figuring that out.
"It's so easy to fall into old patterns and behaviours. There's always a time for change. I don't know exactly where that's going to lead me."
Robyn is currently promoting her new EP Robyn & La Bagatelle Magique. She worked on this extended play with keyboardist Markus Jägerstedt and the late musician Christian Falk, who died at the age of 52 last year from pancreatic cancer. Robyn worked with her friend for over two decades before his demise.
"He taught me so much about music," she recalled. "He started out as a punk bass player and then got into house music in the 80s and 90s, and from there he moved on to hip-hop and all kinds of music. He was like a magpie."
Christian's lethal diagnosis took place while they were creating music for the album. And Robyn confesses it was 'really hard' for her and Markus to return to the studio after their dear friend and collaborator passed.
"We kept working as much as we could," Robyn said. "Then of course when he. at the end of his. his fight with cancer it got really difficult to be in the studio.
"We kept playing things to him, all the way up to the end. We mixed the first song two months before he died."
Love Is Free, the first single from the EP by Robyn & La Bagatelle Magique, will be released August 7.