Destiny's Child Has Never Sounded So Spooky: Hear 'Say My Name' in New 'Candyman'

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Destiny's Child Has Never Sounded So Spooky: Hear 'Say My Name' in New 'Candyman' Trailer

Courtesy Photo
A scene from the trailer for Candyman.

There's a reimagining of the 1992 horror film Candyman coming to theaters this summer, but one of the most chilling things about the super-creepy trailer that dropped Thursday (Feb. 27) isn't the sense of impending doom that comes with saying the evil baddie's name enough times to summon him; it's the soundtrack.

The first peek at director Nia DeCosta's (Little Woods) take on the film moves the action from Liverpool, England, to the ruins of Chicago's Cabrini Green housing projects, where one of the survivors of the original film, Anthony McCoy (Aquaman's Yahya Abdul-Mateen II), is an artist obsessed with Candyman lore. The film, produced and co-written by Jordan Peele, drops in on the action 30 years after the original, with McCoy and girlfriend Brianna Cartwright (The Photograph's Teyonah Parris) move into a luxe condo on the former site of the projects, where he runs into an old-timer who shares the horrifying story of the hook-handed Candyman.

null
READ MORE
Who Are Luniz? Hip-Hop Group Behind 'Us' Trailer Song 'I Got 5 on It'
Scarier than saying his name five times into a mirror and making him appear is the spine-chilling remake of the Destiny's Child 1999 hit "Say My Name," which takes on an urgent, spooky tenor that matches the movie's blood-spattered mania. It's not unlike the creepy take on Luniz's "I Got 5 on It" in Peele's Us last year.

Candyman is due out on June 12. Check out the trailer below.