Ireland set to host Bangladesh T20Is in England

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Stormont is set to play host to the three-match ODI series preceding the T20Is. © Getty

Due to renovations and unavailability of ICC-standard pitches in Ireland, they are now set to stage the four-match T20I series against Bangladesh in England with The Oval, Chelmsford, Bristol and Edgbaston hosting one fixture each.

This would be the first time that Ireland would be hosting a series at a neutral venue, and it would also be the first time since the Pakistan-Australia series in 2010 that England would be playing host to a neutral bilateral series.

Stormont is set to play host to the three-match ODI series preceding the T20Is, before New Zealand and Pakistan arrive for white-ball events later in the season.

"We greatly appreciate the support of the ECB and each of the venues involved in hosting this series. This will be a great set of fixtures being played in some of England's finest and most atmospheric grounds," said the Chief Executive of Ireland Cricket, Warren Deutrom.

"2020 is one of Ireland's biggest home seasons with three major nations touring and 15 matches to host. Consequently, it has been our most complex match allocation process ever, given the multiple challenges we are working through. Chief among these is the loss of access to one of our four international grounds for probably two seasons, with Clontarf undergoing extensive renovations."

Tom Harrison, the CEO of the ECB seemed equally excited with the joint venture. "We are passionate about helping to protect and grow the game across the world and we are delighted to be able to support Cricket Ireland by hosting this series. We can't wait to welcome both Ireland and Bangladesh as part of what promises to be an incredibly exciting summer of cricket," he said.

"We saw at first hand the passion and joy both Irish and Bangladeshi fans brought to our venues last year and I'm sure both sets of supporters will enjoy some high quality cricket at all four grounds."

Ireland vs Bangladesh, fixtures:

May 14 - 1st ODI, Stormont

May 16 - 2nd ODI, Stormont

May 19 - 3rd ODI, Stormont

May 22 - 1st T20I, The Oval

May 24 - 2nd T20I, Chelmsford

May 27 - 3rd T20I, Bristol

May 29 - 4th T20I, Edgbaston