The spirit of Black Panther in Australia's title-winning campaign

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Among other things, Vibranium, in the Marvel Universe, is a metal that can absorb kinetic energy - something that forms a core part of Black Panther's suit. And according to Alyssa Healy, the star of Australia's fifth T20 World Cup title win, who had reflected on Black Panther's abilities throughout her team's campaign - absorbing pressure and reflecting it back on the opposition was something that defined Australia's tournament victory.

Australia had a tough road heading into the final of the 2020 T20 World Cup. They lost their opening game to India, which made their remaining games essentially must-win. But one of the key qualities of any Australian setup is their ability to bounce back strongly, and also overpower their opponents in big matches. First-time finalists India found that out the hard way as Healy and Beth Mooney struck fine half-centuries to power their side to a mammoth total of 184 for 4 before Australia bowled India out for 99 to register a crushing win.

"Looking at every big series or tournament, we sort of have a refocus about what's important to our group. We knew that every single opposition was going to come really, really hard at us in every game, and it was about how we could absorb that pressure and throw it back in their face," said Healy, who struck a 39-ball 75 which included fives sixes and seven fours.

"Me being the nerdy person in the team, I really referred to the Black Panther in the movie where his suit really absorbs the energy from his opponents, and when he's ready, he forces it back upon them. We took that mentality into this tournament. Everyone came really hard at us early on, and we held our nerve, especially after that first six, and we got the job done when needed. Yeah, we're all Black Panthers out there."

Having played a virtual quarterfinal against New Zealand to progress to the next stage and then overcoming South Africa in a thrilling, shortened affair after rain threatened to put paid to their hopes, a battle-hardened Australian team entered the final. Skipper Meg Lanning had stated before the game that Australia will play their style of game - and they did, which left India battered and crest-fallen.

"The first couple of games perhaps, we didn't have that sense of calmness that we would have liked, but that's the way it goes. We were able to bounce back, and to be able to change that throughout the tournament, I think is a real credit throughout the group. You can sometimes let it slide for a little bit too long and you can't turn it around, and we were able to do that. Our last four games were really good. We were under the pump a lot, but we went back to our skills, and different people stood up in different games. That's the best thing about this team. It's not one or two people we rely on. It's a group effort," said Lanning, reflecting on Australia's campaign.

That Australia managed to win at the MCG in front of 86,000-plus spectators, made the win all the more special. Back in 2014, when Australia won the title under Lanning's leadership, the attendance was a far cry from what it was at the MCG. When asked to compare the two finals, Lanning rated the 2020 summit clash as "incredible" and the best day of her career.

"They're both special in their own ways, but this day today is incredible. We could only have dreamed of happening. When they said they wanted to get 90,000 people to the MCG for a World Cup Final, I was a little bit skeptical, but immediately I thought that I wanted to be there and I wanted to be involved. There was such a big buildup. Yeah, just all the outside pressure and expectation was -- we wanted to come and win this tournament, no doubt about that, but it was something else, and I thought the way we were able to react and deal with that is a testament to the group," said Lanning.

For Healy, who was part of the 2018 T20 World Cup winning team, this victory ranked higher. "Oh, this is so much better. We always speak about I think there was a lot more pressure on us going into the 2018 World Cup in the West Indies, where we were coming off the 50-over World Cup. We hadn't had a trophy. We always felt like there was more pressure on us then, but we were put under the pump a lot in this tournament. We travelled around the country. We had games in quick succession, and not one moment did any of our group complain.

"We embraced the whole tournament for what it was, and we just went out there and enjoyed ourselves and ultimately played the best cricket when it counted. Yeah, to sit here tonight with [a] medal around our neck at the MCG is going to be very hard to beat," said Healy.