Xbox One boss a fan of Uncharted, talks playing games that aren't Xbox-exclusive

MaLiFiCentTIZ

May 23, 2015
There is a lot that's continuously made about the "rivalry" between Microsoft and Sony and each company has done their part to ensure that the competitive dialogue between the two continues. Even with all of the back and forth we see from fans and folks from each company, there is still a certain amount of admiration for one another that's frequently expressed.

When it has come to speaking publicly about Sony and their goings-ons, Xbox One boss Phil Spencer has frequently been complimentary of Sony's business and he was again recently. Spencer was talking about first party exclusives and what Sony's approach is versus Microsoft's and he gave a compliment to one of the PlayStation's biggest franchises.

"So we're making a conscious decision to focus on our first-party games. It doesn't make it harder or easier, it's just a decision. I do think that building up first-party exclusives is creatively more difficult than signing a deal, just by the nature of what it is. But I'll point out too that Sony has some great first-party franchises. I'm a big fan of Uncharted, I thought that looked great at E3. I really admire the team at Naughty Dog, the team at Polyphony," Spencer told GameSpot.

Spencer has continued to be a good sport when asked about Sony and the things they are doing with the PS4. While the tides certainly started out in Sony's favor this generation, Microsoft has been doing a lot of things right ever since their initial fumble with the Xbox One.

This coming fall marks few months of significant importance for Xbox One and Microsoft, much like last year was. With a trio of huge AAA exclusives launching in September, October and November, Microsoft is poised to make another move in the console space. Spencer talked about what's upcoming for Xbox One and how important it is.

"For us, right now Xbox is in a stretch where all its first-party teams are doing an incredible job. I'm proud of that as the head of Xbox, and as the head of first-party. To be able to open a show with Quantum Break, to be able to close it with Halo Wars, and to have Dave Jones and Hideki Kamiya on stage in between, makes me incredibly proud. Oh I should mention Forza too," Spencer said.

The rest of this year is a very strong one for Microsoft with games like Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5: Guardians and last but not least, Rise of the Tomb Raider. This marks the third consecutive fall release season where Microsoft has launched at least three major Xbox One exclusives.

The fall 2013 season saw the games Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome and Dead Rising 3 launch, then last year the games Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection were all launched. We already mentioned the games coming this fall and 2016 is looking just as strong with games like Quantum Break, Scalebound, Halo Wars 2, Crackdown and others slated for launch within the year.

Spencer is a gamer in his own right and he mentioned one of the games he has been playing a lot of lately, and no, it's not an Xbox One exclusive. "My Gamertag is out there, and I'm sure people who look me up on Xbox Live will know that I'm playing a lot of Destiny. That's not a first-party game, and it's one that Sony has a deal with, but I'll play games I love. As an industry, I think a lot of teams are doing great work," Spencer said.