Lovato: Parents gave me grief over Wilmer

Grimm

May 8, 2015
90882.jpg

Demi Lovatos parents were initially unhappy about her romance with Wilmer Valderrama because of the age gap.

The 22-year-old singer began dating the 35-year-old actor in 2010 and although she immediately knew it was right, not everyone was of the same opinion. Demi's mother Dianna was sceptical to begin with, and the star grew used to other people passing judgement on her life choices.
"I used to [get some grief about it], definitely, whenever we were first starting to date about like five years ago, because I was 18 and he was 30, so people were definitely judgmental and even like my parents were kind of like, 'I don't know why someone his age is wanting to date someone so young,'" she told New Zealand radio station ZM. "After a while, everyone started to see that what we have is real and incredible and very special and we have been together ever since."
Demi spent time in rehab between 2010 and 2011, where she sought help for bulimia, self harm and drug and alcohol abuse. Wilmer has been invaluable in helping her on the road to recovery and she can't imagine her life without him.
"I am very, very in love with him. I think - we will probably wait a little bit longer, but - if he asked [me to marry him] tomorrow I would say yes," she revealed.
While the couple's nuptials are not quite on the horizon yet, talk turned to Demi's stint as a bridesmaid for Iggy Azalea. The rapper is engaged to basketball star Nick Young and has asked Demi to be included in the wedding party, something she is thrilled about.
In fact, the former Disney star is so excited that she's even willing to wear a traditional, overblown, dress if it's required.
"I hope not, but it's for a day, so I will do whatever she wants," she laughed, when quizzed on whether she'd be prepared to wear a "peach fluffy shoulder dress".