Unadkat deserves India call-up again: Ghavri

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does Jaydev Unadkat deserve another Test call-up? (Photo credit - SCA) © Cricbuzz

Karsan Ghavri, who quit coaching on a winning note, is convinced that Jaydev Unadkat deserves another chance to represent the country. The left-arm seamer picked up 67 wickets in this Ranji season, just one less than the all-time record of Bihar's Ashutosh Aman, in 2018-19.

"I do feel Unadkat should get a national call-up again," Ghavri told TOI on Saturday. Impressed with Unadkat's variations, the former India pacer said: "He can bring the ball in and also take it away from the batsman. He (Unadkat) is very consistent and can keep bowling in the same area," Ghavri said.

The former Mumbai player feels Unadkat can be a handy option for the Indian Test squad. "He has worked on his fitness and can bowl long spells now. He can operate with the new ball and also handle the old one. So you can use him in all situations," Ghavri added.

He did, however, agree that it's difficult to fit in Unadkat in the current Indian team. "Yes it's true we have a great pace unit now. But I will say the national selectors can keep Unadkat in mind in case they want to rest somebody," Ghavri felt.

The 69-year-old said a left-arm pacer will also add variety to the Indian pace attack. "All our pacers are right-handed. A left-hander thus provides you a different option. A right-hand left-hand combination often unsettles batsmen," Ghavri, who himself shared the new ball with Kapil Dev once, remarked. The 28-year-old Unadkat went wicketless in the only Test that he has played so far, in 2010. The responsibility of leading the team also helped Unadkat mature as a cricketer, said Ghavri. "He leads from the front and understands his role better."

Unadkat himself still has the fire in his belly, to stage an India comeback after having debuted in 2010 as a 19-year-old. "The hunger for a comeback has actually kept me going throughout the season," he quipped.

Saurashtra teammate Cheteshwar Pujara also backed Unadkat's return. "I will be surprised if he is not picked in the Indian team."

With all four national selectors having watched the Ranji final, it remains to be seen whether Unadkat has impressed them enough to earn an India recall.