Waffles News

taz

Elite
Trusted
Apr 12, 2013
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Waffles Staff Picks - June Edition

It's time for a new batch of staff picks, and we have some nice ones for you this month. The theme for June is

Green!

Please remember we do not look to balance genres or purposely seek out diversity - these are simply albums by bands that we love, and hope that you find something you enjoy as well. Note that each pick may be an individual track, or an entire album (for the purpose of the theme). In every case, however, the entire album will be FL. Happy snatching!

Woodenhead

Artist: Sleep
Album: Dopesmoker

The theme picked was "Green" and I think, in retrospect, that it had something to do with spring. But that wasn't the first green thing to "spring" to mind... Drop out of life with bong in hand.

Haarry

Artist: Orbital
Album: Orbital (Green Album)
Track: Belfast

I love everything about Orbital. Nobody has ever quite managed to hardsample weird timbres into tensely orchestral movements quite like them. They de-humanize everything and then twist it back into something so genuinely emotional. I hope our next theme is Brown.

izmo

Artist: Milo Greene
Album: Milo Greene
Track: 1957

I like the music video for this song. Also, I like the song.

MidniteRockr

Artist: Bitcrush
Album: From Arcs to Embers
Track: Untilted (Worm Is Green Remix)

One of my fave Bitcrush albums is this collection of remixes by a bunch of really good bands.

condon313

Artist: Bongzilla
Album: Gateway
Track: Greenthumb

Bongzilla may be the most pot-centric stoner metal band out there (which, if actually true, would really be saying something). Every track bears a title like Keefmaster, Hashdealer, and 666lb. Bongsession. Lyrics don't stray far from "I love smoking pot. Also Satan." But it never seems gimmicky: Bongzilla delivers throaty vocals and heavy riffs in a surprisingly coherent package.

lostsupper

Artist: Dinosaur Jr.
Album: Green Mind

Like most of my staff picks, this album was super important to me at some point while I was finding my place in the world. Dinosaur Jr. was in the background while I was driving to skate spots, going to parties, and learning to navigate high school social circles. If I only knew then what I know now.

icebox

Artist: Barbara Manning
Album: One Perfect Green Blanket
Track: Sympathy Wreath

The Green Blanket of course, refers to a baseball field, pictured on the cover of the album. Green is all over the record, including the song Green. But. Green isn't the standout here, Sympathy Wreath is. As a wreath is generally green, even though the song's wreath has purple daisies, it qualifies. Barabara Manning was prominent in the late 1980s and early 1990s US indie rock scene. She still records from time to time, and has a bunch of newer tracks up on bandcamp.

Sowilo

Artist: Malinky
Album: Last Leaves
Track: The Green Wedding / Bill Harte's Jig

Malinky is an amazing Scottish folk group that's been called “maybe the finest young Scottish band since Silly Wizard” (Boston Globe). Never hear of that group either? You have some music you need to listen to! A must have for anyone interested in folk music, traditional music or "world music". Incredible melodies, a variety of instruments, and two wonderful male and female vocalists. This is the first album out of the 5 they've released so far, in what is hopefully a long career.