Will be hard to go to Mortaza's level straightaway; need time: Tamim

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"It is very hard for a captain to plan anything in one, two or three series." © Getty

Tamim Iqbal, Bangladesh's new ODI skipper, is aware that he has some big shoes to fill having taken over the leadership from Mashrafe Mortaza. But the left-handed opener is confident of easing into the captaincy role over time, adding that he will reflect on the values of former skipper Mortaza, having watched him from close quarters.

Mortaza, who stepped down as ODI skipper following the just-concluded three-match series against Zimbabwe at home, is Bangladesh's most successful skipper and is credited to have played a big part in developing Bangladesh cricket in the 50-over format through his leadership qualities. Under Mortaza, Bangladesh grew in stature as an ODI team, making it to the quarterfinal stage of the 2015 World Cup while they reached the semifinal of the 2017 Champions Trophy. Mortaza led Bangladesh in 88 games, winning 50 and losing 36.

"I am very lucky in the sense I had a very close relationship with him. I have seen many things closely and played together for so many years in many places. So I know at least something that he knows. But I will say as much as I can take - it is very difficult to fill his shoes. I hope I will take all the positive things, if I ever need his advice I will definitely take it from him," Tamim said on Saturday (March 14). "I am not an experienced captain. You should remember that I need some time. It will be very hard to go to his [Mortaza's] level straightaway. I know that well. We have achieved so many things under him."

The Bangladesh Cricket Board took some time to convince Tamim to take up captaincy during their last board meeting. He was called multiple times from practice to discuss about his future in the leadership role before the BCB eventually decided to appoint him on a long-term basis.

"It is very hard for a captain to plan anything in one, two or three series. I wanted captaincy for a long time basis because if you are assigned for a long time, then you can make a difference in a team, which is very important for us," said Tamim, who wants the team to develop the belief that they can be world-beaters.

"When we won the series first time against Pakistan - the group we had under Mashrafe bhai - we had that believe that we can beat any team. Before that we had won, but not a series. But now the squad we have, there are many young players, it is very important for us to win an ODI match to get that belief that we can fix those things. So it will be our target. If we can win a match as soon as possible, it will be good for the team."

Tamim said his immediate focus will be to bring in some cultural changes and look at ways to develop the mindset of his teammates. "The way we are thinking out on the field, how professional we are - I think my first thing [job as captain] will be to improve in that area. It's not necessary to get the results immediately. But you will definitely see the changes. If we start working harder, if we can minimise the mistakes we are making then you will get the result. Not necessary immediately in the next game but you will get the result of hard work at some point.

"So if I have to take this team forward, then first I will have to improve everything off the field. It is not like we are indisciplined as a team, I think we are one of the most disciplined teams in the world. We can be better. If I can start those things earlier and if it starts reflecting on the field then it will be good," Tamim concluded.