Carly Rae Jepsen: I feel free!

MaLiFiCentTIZ

May 23, 2015
Carly Rae Jepsen is happy to be a 'little more rugged' with her new music.

The 29-year-old is best known for her hit single Call Me Maybe. But her new single Run Away With Me shows a more stripped down version of the singer, both in her sound and the accompanying video.

'Half of that footage was shot by my boyfriend, who is a cinematographer, and I didn't even realise I was being filmed," she told Rolling Stone. "I am in no make-up and mom jeans. It was a hard decision to put that version of myself out there, but now I feel free. I'm like, 'So that's what I look like without million-dollar cameras on me.' It's a little more rugged."

This was a conscious decision on Carly's part, as she felt too polished and over produced on her last album, Kiss. For her, she wanted to re-establish who she was as an artist with her new record, Emotion.

'It is changing the idea of what a pop star is and acts like and looks like,' she explained. 'For the last record, I had moved fresh from Canada to L.A., and was like, 'Okay, what do you want me to do? I'll do anything; thank you; whatever you want.' But now, I can show up to photo shoots and be like, 'I'm so happy to be here, but I don't want to wear the fluffy pink dress.'"
Carly admits she hasn't totally left the dreamy, romantic girl behind her though.

'I tried really hard not to write all the songs about love," she added. "But I couldn't do it. So please forgive me for not writing one full song that is not about a man."