Drew Barrymore Thinks There's A Way Her Iconic Death In Scream Could Be Retconned

MirrorWatch

Mar 25, 2023
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Scream star Drew Barrymore explains how Casey, Ghostface's first victim, could actually still be alive. Released in 1996, Wes Craven's Scream basically revolutionized the horror genre, turning conventions on their heads in the form of a gory, meta, and darkly comedic slasher movie. While the different iterations of Ghostface have gone on to kill countless people over the last six films, the brutal killing of Barrymore's Casey in the opening moments of the original movie remains one of the franchise's most iconic moments.

Now, during a recent appearance on The Drew Barrymore Show (as per EW) Barrymore reveals that there's a way the Scream franchise could retcon Casey's death. Although Casey is stabbed in the heart, disemboweled, and then hanged, the actor suggests at least one of those wounds isn't actually all that different from a fairly common medical procedure. Check out Barry's full comment below when asked by her cohost whether she'd be open to returning to the franchise:

"It's funny. I've never thought of it this way, but I'm pretty sure a C-section is comparable to what happened to her. Like, literally. And I'm here! I'm fine! So, maybe Casey Becker will be okay."
Casey Should Probably Stay Dead In The Scream Franchise

The Scream franchise is now renowned for the ways in which it subverts expectations and horror tropes, and Casey's death perhaps remains the epitome of this. At the time, genre conventions and Barrymore's own growing star power meant that when her character first appeared on-screen, it was fair to assume that she was going to be the film's central protagonist and therefore survive. Killing Casey within Scream's opening moments immediately announces that Scream is no ordinary slasher movie.

Casey's death helps to establish that no character in Scream is ever truly safe; nobody has any plot armor. The deaths of beloved characters like Randy (Jamie Kennedy) and Dewey (David Arquette) only serve to further solidify this point. If Casey were to be brought back, it would undermine one of the most iconic horror movie openings of all time and open the door for any number of other clearly deceased characters to return.

Of course, it should be mentioned that the franchise has seen characters survive some seemingly fatal wounds. The best example of this is Kirby (Hayden Panettiere) surviving Scream 4's ending after being stabbed, but a number of characters in Scream 6 also manage to pull through after some pretty gnarly knife wounds. It remains to be seen what the future holds for the Scream franchise, but it's probably for the best that Casey stays dead.