I Am Legend 2's Ending Change Risks Insulting A Main Character From The Original 2007 Movie

Hell0o

Jul 19, 2023
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long-awaited sci-fi sequel I Am Legend 2 will ignore the first movie's theatrical ending, so it runs the risk of ruining a central character from the 2007 film. A loose adaptation of Richard Matheson’s novel of the same name, I Am Legend follows Will Smith’s Robert Neville, the sole survivor of a plague that turns humanity into vampire-like creatures called Darkseekers. Neville ekes out a lonely existence for most of I Am Legend, spending his time hunting these scarcely-seen ghouls.

Neville eventually learns there are other survivors, and he teams up with Alice Braga’s Anna to develop a cure for the disease. I Am Legend’s alternate ending reveals that Neville is the real monster, while the movie’s theatrical ending sees the character sacrificing himself in a face-off against them. I Am Legend 2’s story will make the alternate ending canon, reinstating the themes of Matheson’s novel. That decision could spell bad news for Braga’s supporting character, Anna.

I Am Legend 2 Using The Alternate Ending Hurts Anna

It makes sense that I Am Legend 2 will retcon the original movie's ending, as the alternate conclusion is truer to Matheson's source material. However, doing so would remove the importance of Braga's heroine, Anna, who is tasked with continuing Neville's work in the wake of his death. If I Am Legend 2 followed the first film's theatrical ending, Anna would be a focal figure in the sequel. The plot would likely see her delivering Neville's vaccine to the masses and ensuring the plague's victims were cured.

By bringing back Smith, I Am Legend 2 risks overlooking Anna entirely. Writing Anna out of I Am Legend 2 would be a massive insult to a pivotal character from the first film. However, Braga’s surprised reaction to I Am Legend 2 implies that she's not in the sequel. In May 2023, Braga admitted she was curious about the follow-up, jesting that she was almost ready to call screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and ask to reprise her role. She could be bluffing, but this doesn’t bode well for I Am Legend 2, which has not added Braga to its cast list.

How I Am Legend 2 Can Still Honor Anna's Story

I Am Legend 2's Ending Retcon Must Also Fix Another Original Movie Mistake_
The best way for I Am Legend 2 to honor Anna's story would be for Braga’s character to appear alongside the film's returning star, Smith, and franchise newcomer Michael B. Jordan. Anna survives both the theatrical and alternate endings of the first film, so there is no excuse to keep her character out of I Am Legend 2.

Anna shouldn't have a mere cameo confirming her survival, either. She should be central to the sequel’s plot. Anna helps bring Neville’s humanity back online in I Am Legend, and the news that Darkseekers have human intelligence likely upends her perception of reality, too. I Am Legend 2 should explore that further, unraveling how it affects her and her distribution of the vaccine. Doing so won't take away from Neville's story or his alternate ending. If done correctly, it could even enhance the main character's character arc.

Is Alice Braga Returning As Anna In I Am Legend 2?

It is not yet confirmed whether Braga will return as Anna in I Am Legend 2. I Am Legend 2 must fix numerous mistakes made in I Am Legend, but the sequel should not forget about Braga’s character in the process. Anna humanizes Neville in the original film, and she undergoes a compelling character arc of her own. Anna saves a scientist and helps develop the treatment that turns Darkseekers back into humans. She is one of the few human characters in I Am Legend, and Braga does a lot of dramatic heavy lifting because of it. She manages to imbue Anna with warmth, toughness, and intelligence throughout the movie.

As such, it would be a great loss if I Am Legend 2 simply ignores Anna’s existence, or worse, kills her off-screen. Fortunately, there is no reason to believe that the sequel will take this route. Since Braga’s character survives both of the movie’s endings, she remains part of I Am Legend’s world. Therefore, Braga’s character should come up again, especially as viewers learn more about her Darkseekers discovery and her attempts to cure their condition. I Am Legend 2 needs to bring back Braga's character for this aspect of the story, particularly if it hopes to do I Am Legend's Anna justice.