Veteran Wasim Jaffer announces retirement

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wasim Jaffer walks away from the game with more than 19,000 first class runs to his name © Getty

Former India opener and a domestic giant Wasim Jaffer has announced his retirement from all forms of the game on Saturday (March 7). Jaffer, who has had a stellar domestic career, retires as the highest run-scorer in the history of Ranji Trophy, with more than 12000 runs.

The 42-year-old kickstarted his first-class career in style by cracking a triple ton in just his second game and his rise eventually saw him receive a Test cap in 2000 at home against South Africa. Even though he had a disappointing debut, registering single-digit scores in both the innings, he cemented his spot at the top of the order six years later when he made 81, before following it up with a century in the second innings against England in Nagpur.

Later that year, he hit his first double century for India against West Indies at St John's. The 212 he made in that drawn encounter remains his highest Test score. Jaffer continued to make vital contributions including a Test century in a losing cause in Cape Town against South Africa, an unbeaten hundred against Bangladesh in Dhaka and his final century - a dazzling 202 against Pakistan at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. A few months later, a string of poor scores saw him lose his Test spot with his last appearance coming in April 2008 in Kanpur.

With Virender Sehwag getting back his Test spot and the likes of Gautam Gambhir and Murali Vijay emerging from the domestic circuit, Jaffer couldn't force his way back into the national squad. Overall, he played 31 Tests and finished with an average of 34. In ODI cricket, Jaffer's career never took off, and he went on to play only two games for India. However, he continued to score heavily in the Ranji circuit, winning the title on multiple occasions with Mumbai as captain as well. In 2015, Jaffer ended his illustrious 19-year-old association with Mumbai following a poor season, and joined Vidarbha.

Quite incredibly, despite being at the twilight of his career, Jaffer became the first batsman last year to accumulate more than 1000 runs in a single Ranji season for the second time, as he was a part of a Vidarbha side that won back-to-back Ranji titles. He made a fifty against Kerala in his final first-class appearance last month.

"Thank you to the BCCI, Mumbai Cricket Association and Vidarbha Cricket Association for giving me the opportunity to represent them," Jaffer said in a statement. "Among moments I will cherish the most is getting my India Test cap, scoring 202 vs Pakistan, 212 vs West Indies and winning Test series in West Indies and England 2006-07. I am honoured to have shared the dressing room with the likes of Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, Anil Kumble, VVS Laxman, Virender Sehwag and MS Dhoni to name a few.

Jaffer had special mentions for fellow Mumbaikars Sachin Tendulkar and Chandrakant Pandit. Tendulkar, for being his role model over the years, and Pandit for putting faith in him when nobody else did.

"He [Sachin Tendulkar] was my role model. Feel really blessed to have watched him play from close quarters. In my opinion, he was one of the best players of that era along with Brian Lara.

"I would also like to thank Chandrakant Pandit for showing faith in me when no team showed any interest to have me as a professional for 2017-18 season. It is because of him I got a chance to play for Vidarbha again and create history of winning a Ranji Trophy and Irani Cup twice.

"My father wanted one of his sons to represent India and I feel proud to have fulfilled his dream. After all these years in cricket, it is time to move on. But just like the red ball format which is very dear to me, it's the end of only the first innings. I am looking forward to the second innings in any capacity, be it in coaching, commentary etc."