We must recognize that things don't last forever: Morgan on WC triumph

Raven

Banned
Jan 9, 2020
TI.net
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Eoin Morgan: Four duplicates of this image for the Dolly Parton challenge please! © Getty

Eoin Morgan remains hopeful of leading England in the next two T20 World Cups but still doesn't want to commit to the 2023 50-over World Cup. The England limited-overs skipper revealed that the time off after the five T20Is in New Zealand has helped him recalibrate and identify his priorities.

"I've looked at the next two T20 World Cups and I feel in a good enough space right here and now to be able to say that I'm hoping to be here for both of them," said Morgan, in a summary of his reflection. "But things change, when you make decisions to stay on or continue, the majority of the time, that decision is taken out of your hands. For me, it's a matter of focusing on this year's T20 World Cup, doing the best we can to put ourselves in a position to try to win it and then look beyond that as well.

"Over the last four years, I have been in the best form of my life. The level of experience I have now has allowed me to grow in confidence as a leader and allowed me to be the best version of myself. And certainly, making the decision towards the end of last summer (after the World Cup) things became clearer and more evident when I had time to think, sit back and reflect. Certainly coming back from New Zealand from five T20 internationals, the way that I played and felt physically, it felt really good."

England will be playing an ODI for the first time since their World Cup triumph against South Africa in Cape Town on Tuesday. With the 50-over World Cup already in the bag, their target will be to seal their second T20 World Cup title after their win in 2010. "Days like the T20 World Cup final in 2016, losing down here in the fashion that we did the last time we were here, really do contribute to creating that drive moving forward," said Morgan, encapsulating England's traumatic journey to the 2019 World Cup title.

"Recognising that things don't last forever, and trying to make the most of it is extremely important because sides over the years have had unbelievably great individual players but actually haven't won a great deal. We are very fortunate to have won something but the drive forward is extremely important. I don't think for one instant that guys are taking the position we are in for granted, but also they will look further beyond winning one World Cup."

On Morgan's agenda, in the lead-up to the T20 World Cup in Australia, is to continuously test the permanent members of the side. In New Zealand, he had stressed how crucial it was for the incoming fringe players to learn quickly as they aim to build the side. Morgan acknowledged the goal now is to build a broader squad to give themselves the cushion of picking the ideal combination.

"The next three World Cups will be the same, stick to the process by which we are trying to get better the whole time, and that includes younger guys coming through to test older guys who hold the positions at the moment," he pointed out. "Before the next (50-over) World Cup, we have two T20 World Cups that we are eyeing, so this series against South Africa will allow us to build a broader squad so that in three or four years' time, we have a substantial group to select from, just like we did before this past World Cup."